"How can I create a custom URL to view only specific
tracks in the Genome Browser?"
Each assembly in the Genome Browser has a set of default
tracks that will display unless you specifically hide them
in your URL. The easiest way to create your custom URL is
by creating a session after logging into your account.
- Browse to the assembly of your choice (e.g. hg19).
- Click the "hide all" button. All tracks
should now be hidden.
- Click the "My Data" pulldown in the blue
navigation bar at the top of the screen to access Sessions.
- In the "Save Settings" section under
"Save current settings as named session:",
enter a name for your session.
- Check "allow this session to be loaded by
others" if you want others to be able to access
your session and URL.
- Click the "submit" button.
- Click the "Browser" link under "My
Sessions" to open your session in the Browser.
- Your session URL should look something like the
- To display the tracks of your choice, simply add the
table names to the end of the session URL in the format
&[table name]=[display mode] (e.g. to add the Assembly
track in full display mode, add "&gold=full"
to the end of the URL).
- If you don't know the table name for your track, in most cases,
you can hover over either the gray bar at the left side of the
Browser's graphical display or the track name in the track
listing below the Browser's graphical display. A URL will be
displayed at the bottom left corner of your screen and the
table name will be at the end of that URL in the format
- A URL that displays the UCSC Genes track in pack mode and
the RefSeq Genes in full mode would look something like the